guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dynamic Session Creation
Date Sat, 19 May 2018 18:36:42 GMT
On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 1:13 PM, Felix Wolfheimer <f.wolfheimer@online.de>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently trying to figure out if and how a dynamic session creation
> mechanism can be implemented in a Guacamole extension. Let's say I have a
> bunch of machines which can host graphical desktop sessions and I have a
> script based mechanism to initiate the request to create such a graphical
> session on one of the machines and add the information about the session
> into the guacamole_db (SQL). If a user, who doesn't own a graphical session
> yet, logs in to Guacamole, I'd like to trigger/call the script in the
> backend which creates the session and adds the information to the
> guacamole_db.

Can you explain a little more what kind of graphical session you're talking
about, here, and why the creation of the session needs to be scripted?  I'm
presuming you're talking some sort of VNC session, since RDP doesn't
usually require any setup, but maybe you can clarify this a bit?  Even for
VNC you can set it up with xinetd such that sessions get created when users
connect, so some additional information here on what exactly you're trying
to do would be helpful.

> I've looked through the extension mechanisms in Guacamole and it seems
> that event listeners could be used to trigger the mechanism in the backend
> on user login. Has someone knowing the architecture of Guacamole an idea
> whether
>
> - the user will be connected to the just created session, if the session
> creation is done in a listener on an "AuthenticationSuccessEvent" happens,
> - there's any way of informing the user about what's going on in the
> backend from within such a listener function (e.g., display a banner
> "Session creation pending. Please be patient." or something similar, until
> the session is ready for connection).

You should be able to implement an extension which implements the
AuthenticationSuccessEvent and performs whatever action you'd like to do
upon authentication.  Your extension should also be able to make the
connection happen automatically - in addition to writing the event listener
implementation, you'll likely need to write some AngularJS code and perhaps
even a REST endpoint in order to pass information about the newly-created
session between the Java back-end and the web browser front-end and make
the connection happen, but this should be doable.  It's definitely a little
bit involved, but it all sounds doable.

Sounds like you're already reading the manual, which should be a good place
to find that information, so I'd just continue to look through that and the
existing code to figure out how to do what you're trying to do.  You can
also e-mail back here with any specific questions you might have and the
community will jump in and help as we can :-).

-Nick