guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat8/Apache/Debian: Unable to start guacamole HTTP Status 404 and exceptions in tomcat logs
Date Sun, 13 May 2018 10:53:44 GMT
On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 6:34 AM, Prometheus <pr0m@gmx.com> wrote:

> Hi, I am trying to make guacamole (0.9.9+dfsg-1) to run under Debian
> (unstable). The default tomcat installed using apt along with guacamole
> is tomcat8. The problem is that I get HTTP Status 404 when trying to
> access http://myhost:8080/guacamole
>
> I look into the log files of tomcat and I see that there are two
> exceptions shown below (or visit https://paste.gnome.org/pgnkvfvs4)
> but I haven't managed to find any info on these:

Okay, a couple of things jump out to me:
- You're using a very old version of Guacamole.  0.9.9 is several years old
- we're at 0.9.14, now, with a 1.0.0 release looming somewhere out in the
near-future.  Also, I've no idea what the +dfsg-1 part of that release
number is - looks like either a distribution-specific release, or one that
someone else came up with.  I'd start by using the latest version from the
Guacamole web site, http://guacamole.apache.org.
- The reason you're getting a 404 error is because the application is not
deploying, at all.  The exceptions you note are preventing it from working,
so there is no application present at /guacamole, which causes Tomcat to
throw a 404 error.  I'm not entirely certain what the error you're getting
means and why exactly it's occurring, but I'll venture two guesses.  First,
there's an error about the guacamole.xml context configuration in the
tomcat configuration directory.  I'm not sure if you've tried to manually
create that or if it was part of whatever version of guacamole you
installed, but something about that XML file may be causing problems.
Second, it's possible that the JAR that you're trying to deploy is invalid
- corrupted, zero size, something like that.  Could be wrong about both of
those, just my speculation.

Best advice at this point is to go get the latest version from the
Guacamole web site and deploy that, and read the deployment instructions,
there.

-Nick