guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: debugging custom auth provider
Date Mon, 14 May 2018 13:08:20 GMT
On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 4:49 AM, WebE <rajeswar.khan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a task to configure guacamole where users can create a URL and use
> it
> for remote desktop. All parameter for connection are passed via url
> parameter.  The behavior is similar to guacamole auth plugin
> <https://github.com/grncdr/guacamole-auth-hmac>   which doesn't work with
> latest version.

Yes, looking at this source code, it says both that it is unmaintained, and
that it was written for 0.8.3.  A little out of date :-).

> I even tried from other  forked projects
> <https://github.com/cyverse/guacamole-auth-hmac/tree/0.9.14/src>  .  After
> this plugin is loaded, the home page of guacamole is not loading and a rest
> exception is thrown in log.

We'd be happy to help debug this, you just have to be a little more
detailed about what "doesn't work" means, and what version of Guacamole you
are using.  It looks like this one should be compatible with the 0.9.14
released version, but it's hard to tell.  More detail will help.

> I tried using https://github.com/glyptodon/guacamole-auth-json plugin as
> well but could not succeed.

Mike can probably help out a little more with this one, but, again, would
help to know more details about your environment, and what you've tried to
get this working.

> Now I am trying to understand and build an custom auth provider. I have
> gone
> through the basic tutorial. I am able to build it and integrate it.
>
>  However I am not able to find any tutorial on how can I debug these
> plugins. Coming from .net background, it is bit difficult to do without any
> manual/documentation.
>
> Therefore kindly guide me what setup is required to debug these plugins. I
> do not need a step by step procedure but a starting point where I can grab
> some idea on how debug this plugin.

Again, we need to understand what you have tried so far and what the
results are.  Here are my suggestions:
- Read the fine manual: http://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/custom-auth.html
- Make sure that Tomcat logging is configured for debug mode, at least for
the Guacamole web app, so that you know you're getting all of the debug
information.  The easiest way to do this is to create a logback.xml in the
GUACAMOLE_HOME directory and configure it appropriately for debugging.
Instructions for this can be found, here:
http://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/configuring-guacamole.html#webapp-logging
- Make use of the log4j class within your code to write debug and trace
messages to the Tomcat log and then run things down from there.

-Nick