guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Live Preview Dashboard
Date Mon, 14 May 2018 15:01:17 GMT
On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 9:18 PM, petapixel <dotsonmichaels@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm looking to create a separate web-based dashboard that shows a live
> preview (same as the recent connections live preview) of all connections
> registered to the logged in user. I would like to generate a screen sharing
> link and open it in a new window or tab when the live preview is clicked
> on.
> Any direction is greatly appreciated.

So, I'm a little confused as to exactly what you're trying to accomplish,
here.  The thumbnail on the "Recent Connections" is not a "live preview" -
it's a periodically-updated snapshot of the last state of the screen at the
last time the connection was active.  If the connection is not active for
the user, it does not automatically update to the current state of the
screen -  it just has the last image when the connection was last active.

Doing a "Live Preview" doesn't really seem practical - you *could*, I
suppose, have Guacamole start the connection in the background such that it
is already active and periodically updating a thumbnail of the connection,
but I see a few issues with this.  First, you have the connection logistics
to work through - how is the connection authenticated, does it prompt or
wait for a password, etc.  Second, you have the potential for creating a
lot of traffic and browser load for connections that aren't actually being
actively used, simply for the purpose of having a relatively up-to-date
thumbnail of the connection on the home page.  For this to work, guacd has
to be connected to the remote host, and that connection has to be
maintained as open, which means that guacd has to be getting traffic from
Guacamole Client.  That means you have to have the client active running
that connection somehow (even if in the background) to guacd to maintain
the open connection - and all of this just to update a thumbnail of an
image on the home page?

Perhaps you could describe your use-case a little more clearly - what
environment are you trying to work in and why do you want this to behave
this way?  What's your end goal?

-Nick