guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Installation question
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2018 20:29:04 GMT
On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 3:19 PM, Erik Berndt <erikberndt@superiorpaving.net>
wrote:

> I would double-check the syntax of the proxypass location in your virtual
> host, especially the opening and closing location tags and the trailing
> slash at the end of guacamole.

In this case he's going directly to Tomcat, so ProxyPass isn't really an
issue, since it isn't actually going through httpd or Nginx.

> I could be wrong, but I think proxypass requires using http, regardless if
> the site is served over https.

You can definitely proxy https connections.  If you're using ProxyPass,
that would be Apache httpd, and it requires a little extra configuration -
making sure https support is loaded for the mod_proxy module, and that
certificates are trusted and configured correctly - but it's definitely
doable.  I haven't configured it with Nginx, but I've no doubt it can also
proxy https connections in addition to plain http.

> It's been a while since I've configured a guacamole server, but I recall
> having a hard time using the ip address as the proxypass location, but it
> worked fine using http://localhost:8080/guacamole/ or http://
> <fqdn>:8080/guacamole/

If you're using Apache and the IP does not work but hostname does, it is
likely an issue with the Apache httpd configuration, probably a virtual
host issue (missing virtual host mapping for the IP, missing /etc/hosts
entry for IP<->hostname, etc.).  There's no reason that accessing the IP
can't work, but it highly depends on how you have things configured.

-Nick