guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Mike Jumper <mike.jum...@guac-dev.org>
Subject Re: GUACAMOLE-335 GUACAMOLE_HOME changes
Date Fri, 19 Jan 2018 21:00:18 GMT
On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 11:29 AM, <DMoscovitch@simard.ca> wrote:
> Funny enough the Docs , at least for me, confusingly say the same
> "Creating a directory named .guacamole, within the home directory of the user running
the servlet container. This directory will automatically be used for GUACAMOLE_HOME if it
exists. "

In full, the section in the manual reads:

> GUACAMOLE_HOME is the name given to Guacamole's configuration directory, which is located
at /etc/guacamole by default. ...

> If you cannot or do not wish to use /etc/guacamole for GUACAMOLE_HOME, the location can
be overridden through any of the following methods:

> 1. Creating a directory named .guacamole, within the home directory of the user running
the servlet container. This directory will automatically be used for GUACAMOLE_HOME if it
exists.
> 2. Specifying the full path to an alternative directory with the environment variable
GUACAMOLE_HOME. Be sure to consult the documentation for your servlet container to determine
how to properly set environment variables.
> 3. Specifying the full path to an alternative directory with the system property guacamole.home.

Can you describe what is unclear in the above? This particular section
was actually reworded for 0.9.14 with the intent of being easier to
understand. Guacamole will use "/etc/guacamole" for GUACAMOLE_HOME
unless you have done one of those other three options to override the
location, in which case it will use that instead. If you have a
".guacamole" within the Tomcat user's home directory, that will be
used instead of "/etc/guacamole".

The location of GUACAMOLE_HOME is also now logged on startup, so you
can verify the location being used by checking your Tomcat logs.

> which I , in .14, took to mean 'home directory' would be like /home/USER... , but as
it was the same in the older .13 it seems to mean the folder, like where tomcat would be installed.

The wording between these versions is identical. From both 0.9.14 and
0.9.13, the relevant text reads:

"... the home directory of the user running the servlet container."

Either way, "the home directory of the user running the servlet
container" refers to the home directory of the user that is running
the servlet container process. On most systems this will be the home
directory of a special user dedicated to Tomcat. The home directories
of users across your system are not guaranteed to be within /home, so
you will need to check /etc/passwd or check the documentation for your
distribution to determine the location of the home directory of the
user that runs the Tomcat service.

- Mike