guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Mike Jumper <mike.jum...@guac-dev.org>
Subject Re: Screen reader/JAWS over Guac?
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2017 18:22:59 GMT
On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Nick Couchman <vnick@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Nick Couchman <vnick@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 12:39 PM, Antony Awaida <antony@apporto.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi everyone:
>>>
>>> Has anyone tried to run a screen reader such as JAWS over Guacamole? if
>>> so do you have a recipe for that?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> What protocol are you interested in?  I'm not familiar with screen
>> readers, including JAWS, but my guess is that this will partially depend on
>> the screen reader's ability to parse images for text.  In the case of VNC
>> and RDP when used through Guacamole, the output to the screen is an image
>> and does not have a direct text representation.  Telnet and SSH protocols in
>> Guacamole should be parsed out as text in the browser (which is demonstrated
>> by the ability to select letters/words/lines of text), so those will
>> probably work.

Actually, for all protocols, there is no text once things reach the
client side. Everything is graphical.

> ...but, apparently JAWS includes OCR support, so perhaps it will work fine
> with Guacamole?!

If running the screen reader within the remote desktop is an option,
that should work well for the protocols where Guacamole provides audio
support (VNC and RDP). Otherwise, yep, everything is part of a dynamic
image and there is nothing for the reader to read.

- Mike