guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Unreachable RDP desktop after renaming computer
Date Sun, 12 Nov 2017 14:15:51 GMT
On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 3:19 PM, glarkin53 <greg.larkin@puppet.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a project to provide access to Windows desktops hosted on
> Amazon AWS. We spin up a number of Windows EC2 instances (Windows 2012 R2
> servers) and then connect to them with Guacamole.
>
> Upon the first connection to a machine, it has the Amazon auto-generated
> hostname, such as "win-oekuqjop15l.us-west-2.compute.internal". Our
> process
> requires the hostname to be changed and the machine rebooted, so we may
> issue the following commands in a Powershell window:
>
> Rename-Computer glarkin
> Restart-Computer
>
> After the machine restarts, Guacamole is unable to connect to the machine.
> The dialog box reads "The remote desktop server is currently unreachable."
> The machine is still up and running, and I can connect to it with a desktop
> RDP client from my laptop, so I think there is a problem with Guacamole
> somewhere.

Greg,
I suspect that you're running into a DNS caching issue on the system
hosting Guacamole.  Depending on what distribution you're running, there
could be one of several daemons running that caches DNS information.  sssd,
nscd, and nslcd are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.  Also,
depending on which DNS servers you're pointing at with your laptop vs.
Guacamole, it could be something on one of those systems, too.

-Nick