guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Console.log messages not included post minification
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2017 13:31:37 GMT
On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 9:01 AM, Erin Versfeld <erinversfeld@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks, Ryan and Nick,
>
> I've played around with all the log settings in the browser console, and
> run my app on multiple browsers, so that at least can be rules out as an
> issue for now.
>
> Looking more closely at minify-maven, one of the tools its built on top of
> is Google's Closure Compiler, which "parses your JavaScript, analyzes it,
> removes dead code and rewrites and minimizes what's left", which could
> potentially explain this behaviour. Commenting out that whole process from
> the pom file then breaks things because app.js isn't build. I'm playing
> around with changing the index.html and seeing if just pointing it to the
> individual .js files works, but alternative suggestions are also welcome.
>
> I tried injecting the $log service, but had no luck. It's entirely
> possible that I wasn't doing it correctly, though, so I'm heading back to
> the docs to confirm that.

In the file where you want to use it, simply find the sections toward the
top of the file that have one or more $injector.get lines, and add the
following:

var $log = $injector.get('$log');

Then elsewhere in your code use $log.debug('Your debug message here.') to
get the output (or $log.info(), $log.warn(), $log.error()).

It's also possible that the lines of code where you're attempting to put
log statements aren't actually being reached, so make sure you're putting
those statements in places that you absolutely know are executing.

> I am modifying the client rather than using the API portions of the client
> code to write a custom app. The kinds of errors I expect to see are the
> stock standard HTTP errors, like 404s, 500s, etc. I'd just like to have a
> little pop up or display a relevant error message when these errors occur.
> The browser is able to tell which of these errors has occurred, so it looks
> like everything is working as expected, its just handling this on the
> client side which is proving irksome. I'm trying to use the logs to work
> out where things should be handled but aren't.

Yeah, there's just a lot of code already in the client app that handles
these errors, so it's quite possible that the errors you're trying to
capture are being intercepted elsewhere in the code and either handled
transparently or with the guacNotification() code.  That's why I ask about
this.  Are you modifying things inside the
guacamole/src/main/webapp/app/rest directory, or elsewhere?  It really
depends on what you're trying to do, but there are several instances where
404s, for example, are part of the normal operation of the client and just
get handled transparently within the client without bothering the user
about it, so I'm wondering if the 404s you're seeing are already being
handled and never making it to the code you're writing.

-Nick