guacamole-user mailing list archives

From jm+guacam...@roth.lu
Subject Re: Missing keyboard layouts and workarounds
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2017 21:42:30 GMT
Hi,

I was not referring to any particular issue I am having. I simply wanted
to understand the different layers that make things what they are.

This is what I found out. Hope it helps someone in the future. Feel free
to correct it, or include parts of it in the docs otherwise ;-)

The different layers:
* Local keybaord layout (hardware)
* Local keyboard layout (OS)
* Guacamole session keyboard layout
* Remote keyboard layout (OS)
* obviosuly, remote hardware keyboard layout does not matter in this case

In other terms:
* Local keyboard layout (OS)         <-- determines symbol you want to
see appear on destination
* Guacamole session keyboard layout  <-- the keyboard layout on which
the POSITION of that symbol is determined
* Remote keyboard layout (OS)        <-- the keyboard layout on which
the key at that position is pressed

This means:
* Local keyboard layout (hardware) should match local keyboard layout (OS).
* Guacamole session keyboard layout should match remote configured
keyboard layout (OS).
* For everything to work 100%, all of these should be the same,
otherwise there might be symbols that you can't type since either your
local keyboard (hardware) or the remote keyboard layout (OS) doesn't
have a key at that position, or the local symbol does not exist on the
the remote keyboard layout at all.

Bye,
Marki