guacamole-user mailing list archives

From glarkin53 <greg.lar...@puppet.com>
Subject Re: Unreachable RDP desktop after renaming computer
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2017 22:00:56 GMT
vnick wrote
> On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 3:19 PM, glarkin53 &lt;

> greg.larkin@

> &gt; wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm working on a project to provide access to Windows desktops hosted on
>> Amazon AWS. We spin up a number of Windows EC2 instances (Windows 2012 R2
>> servers) and then connect to them with Guacamole.
>>
>> Upon the first connection to a machine, it has the Amazon auto-generated
>> hostname, such as "win-oekuqjop15l.us-west-2.compute.internal". Our
>> process
>> requires the hostname to be changed and the machine rebooted, so we may
>> issue the following commands in a Powershell window:
>>
>> Rename-Computer glarkin
>> Restart-Computer
>>
>> After the machine restarts, Guacamole is unable to connect to the
>> machine.
>> The dialog box reads "The remote desktop server is currently
>> unreachable."
>> The machine is still up and running, and I can connect to it with a
>> desktop
>> RDP client from my laptop, so I think there is a problem with Guacamole
>> somewhere.
>>

> Greg,
> I suspect that you're running into a DNS caching issue on the system
> hosting Guacamole.  Depending on what distribution you're running, there
> could be one of several daemons running that caches DNS information.
> sssd,
> nscd, and nslcd are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.  Also,
> depending on which DNS servers you're pointing at with your laptop vs.
> Guacamole, it could be something on one of those systems, too.
>
> -Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks very much for the reply. Would DNS caching be an issue if I'm using
IP addresses only to create the connections in Guacamole? I should have
clarified that I'm only using Amazon EC2 internal network IP addresses for
the hostname in the Guacamole connections. Those IPs don't change, as far as
I can tell, but I'll double-check that. I'm pretty sure they would if I
powered the Windows machines completely off, but I'm only issuing a reboot.

The other angle I'm pursuing is to start the Windows machines with a
pre-selected hostname instead of the default. That way, our users would not
have to rename the machines and reboot them.

Thank you,
Greg

--
Sent from: http://apache-guacamole-incubating-users.2363388.n4.nabble.com/