guacamole-user mailing list archives

From "McRoy, Jeffrey (GE Healthcare)" <Jeffrey.Mc...@ge.com>
Subject Guacd Telnet/SSH settings
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2017 15:06:43 GMT
Hi Everyone,

The newer versions of guacd allow for setting the color scheme, font size, and session capture.
It looks like these are all set at the creation of the connection using guacd parameters.
So far, I haven’t found a reference to accessing these features through the Javascript layer
so users can control them. Is this the case, or did I miss something?

Thanks & Regards,

Jeff

From: Ryan Underwood <ryan@greymarketlabs.com>
Date: Friday, October 13, 2017 at 10:33 PM
To: "user@guacamole.incubator.apache.org" <user@guacamole.incubator.apache.org>
Subject: EXT: RE: Deploying locally built WAR

Solved: Apologies in advance for the long message – I figured it out but have questions
on the docs and what it’s actually doing

>From digging on this I saw tomcat had guacd on localhost:4802 which is NOT where it is
– it’s at guac-guacd:4822

>From the log file:

01:41:04.511 [http-nio-8080-exec-2] DEBUG o.a.g.net.InetGuacamoleSocket - Connecting to guacd
at localhost:4822.

So I dug into the code that checks that and saw that the environment has a default setting
of localhost for the guacd_hostname… and since my environment variable was set that seemed
odd.  So then I see it’s reading /root/.guacamole/guacamole.properties and THAT file is
being concatenated to MY guacamole.properties file that does not have a trailing newline.
 When I added a line break to my guacamole.properties file it fixed it and loaded up.

So having gone through this, I have a few questions as to how this was supposed to work **
this may only apply to a docker installation **
I created the properties file originally because it seemed like an easy way to set the config
instead of on the docker run line. The documentation says “The guacamole.properties file
is optional and is used to configure Guacamole in situations where the defaults are insufficient,
or to provide additional configuration information for extensions.”  What actually is happening
is the startup script is taking environment vars and creating the properties file (I think).
 So the properties file is necessary, but me creating my own isn’t, since tomcat is actually
reading it. Right?  And creating one can cause problems, even if it’s correct see #2…
The properties file in /root/.guacamole (that is created by the startup script) is concatenated
to a guacamole.properties file located in my local volume. The local one is in a docker volume
that I also set to $guacamole_home.  When the properties file is concatenated, if the one
I created in my local volume doesn’t have a trailing newline, it puts 2 keys on one line—the
script just starts writing to it, even though it exists already. In my case, that happened
to be the guacd_hostname that got hosed. I did verify this happens in windows and ubuntu.
 So if you create a properties file, it has to have a trailing newline. I worry about properties
files that are concatenated like this because the property file could be invalid due to duplicate
keys (or the newline issue).  The newline issue could be avoided by writing a newline to the
properties file first in the script though.
There may be an issue when trying to create a properties file programmatically when one already
exists in the user defined guacamole_home.  Maybe this is a scenario that didn’t exist before
deploying via docker.
Tomcat seems to only care about /root/.guacamole as the guacamole_home which is a bit confusing
since it’s not using $guacamole_home.  This was actually the source of my issues. I didn’t
realize that the environment variables were just used to create a properties file for tomcat.
I saw my environment variables, they were correct, and yet tomcat had incorrect information
due to the issues above.

I may have misinterpreted some of this -- sorry if that’s the case.  I’d be happy to help
get to a resolution on these if it’s agreed my scenario wasn’t unique to me and reflects
some degree of misinformation in the documentation and/or approach to the properties file
overall.

Thanks for the replies even though it seemed like I was churning =)

-Ryan