guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Mike Jumper <mike.jum...@guac-dev.org>
Subject Re: Docker Guacamole Latest
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2017 03:43:30 GMT
On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 7:58 PM, Nick Couchman <vnick@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Since 0.9.10-incubating++ appear under guacamole/guacamole it may be
>>> worth stripping the same out of glyptodon/guacamole to funnel those like me
>>> more directly towards the right answer.
>>>

>> The Guacamole project doesn't control whether third parties distribute
>> their own Docker images. As long as licenses and trademarks/brands are not
>> violated, we welcome such distribution. See:
>>
>> Mike
>
> Is guacamole/guacamole not something you control?

guacamole/guacamole is something anyone in the Guacamole PPMC controls,
including myself. You should have access, too, as all committers are
implicitly PPMC within Guacamole. If not, that's an oversight we should
correct.

See:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b345e6c72629e3bf79c3e1243c6290073c3cf6f3901aa100a649f2a2@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

I assume glyptodon/guacamole is yours?

Not really. "glyptodon/guacamole" is Glyptodon's, and while I'm certainly
affiliated with Glyptodon, I'm not equal to it. For the health of the
project, I refuse to wear my Glyptodon hat when doing anything within the
Guacamole community. Here, I am strictly a committer on the Guacamole
project and a member of its PPMC.

If the question here is whether third-party distribution of Guacamole is
harmful, my personal view is that it isn't, and that part of the philosophy
of the Apache Way is to embrace such distribution. It is expected (and
beneficial) that third parties will package and distribute Guacamole,
including via Docker images. Quickly checking Docker Hub, I find at least
15 pages of search results for Docker images containing Guacamole:

https://hub.docker.com/search/?isAutomated=0&isOfficial=0&page=1&pullCount=0&q=guacamole&starCount=0

To me, that's a good sign.

If there is a trademark/branding/licensing issue, however, that would be a
different matter and should definitely be corrected ASAP.

- Mike