guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Mike Jumper <mike.jum...@guac-dev.org>
Subject Re: Guacamole not reading guacamole.properties
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2017 16:25:18 GMT
On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 8:28 AM, D Chen <perktvacc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks like the logs got dropped...Anyways, I did more testing (Alpine 3.6,
> Guacamole 0.9.13) and narrowed it down to the "user-mapping" property
> contained within the guacamole.properties file not being read.
>
> guacamole.properties properties:
>
> guac:/etc/guacamole# cat guacamole.properties
>
> guacd-port: 7777
> user-mapping: /etc/guacamole/map/user-mapping.xml

The manual is incorrect in a couple ways here:

1) The "user-mapping" property doesn't actually exist and will have no
effect. The property is actually "basic-user-mapping":

https://github.com/apache/incubator-guacamole-client/blob/1c0ee41d0ecd5bc4a3550804b74b73b901e074c2/guacamole/src/main/java/org/apache/guacamole/auth/file/FileAuthenticationProvider.java#L72-L84

2) The "basic-user-mapping" property was supposed to be deprecated in favor
of GUACAMOLE_HOME/user-mapping.xml. It shouldn't be documented in the
manual at all:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-guacamole-client/blob/1c0ee41d0ecd5bc4a3550804b74b73b901e074c2/guacamole/src/main/java/org/apache/guacamole/auth/file/FileAuthenticationProvider.java#L128

The manual needs to be updated to remove mention of this property, as (in
addition to being wrong) it shouldn't be used in new deployments. For
reference, the deprecation was due to the development associated with the
initial migration to the Apache Incubator:

And is mentioned in the release notes of the first release under the
Incubator:

http://guacamole.incubator.apache.org/releases/0.9.10-incubating/#deprecation--compatibility-notes

Anyway, as far as your case is concerned, the proper solution would be to
place "user-mapping.xml" within GUACAMOLE_HOME ("/etc/guacamole"). Anything
else leverages deprecated features.

- Mike