guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Tony Hooker <tony.hoo...@dwwtc.com>
Subject RE: Guacamole HTTP tunnel not Websockets
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2017 16:41:08 GMT
We followed this individuals configuration strategy.

https://www.chasewright.com/lets-encrypt-and-nginx/

From: Mike Jumper [mailto:mike.jumper@guac-dev.org]
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 9:00 AM
To: user@guacamole.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Guacamole HTTP tunnel not Websockets

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 8:47 AM, Tony Hooker <tony.hooker@dwwtc.com<mailto:tony.hooker@dwwtc.com>>
wrote:
We are running into a curious issue with users in Guac experiencing extreme lag after opening
3+ connections in multiple tabs. We looked at the /var/log/tomcat8/catalina.out log and we
found that our server is not passing the tunnel servlet via websockets.

16:14:22.737 [http-nio-8080-exec-8] INFO  o.a.g.t.h.RestrictedGuacamoleHTTPTunnelServlet -
Using HTTP tunnel (not WebSocket). Performance may be sub-optimal.

Browsers throttle the total number of HTTP connections established via JavaScript on a per-domain
basis, even across tabs. Once the browser starts delaying the creation of outbound connections
until existing connections close, there will be resource contention between each of the Guacamole
tabs, and performance will suffer.

We then checked our Nginx web service and made sure all the proper websocket configurations
were in place, and it checked out.

What version of Nginx are you using?

Can you post your configuration?

My next thought was maybe tomcat8 isn’t setup properly for websockets. Has anyone had this
issue and could reply with some insight?

I believe Tomcat 8 is always setup for websocket.

- Mike