guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Mike Jumper <mike.jum...@guac-dev.org>
Subject Re: Guacamole 0.9.12 WAN Performance (Ubuntu 14, XDRP)
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2017 17:54:50 GMT
On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Dogbert <virtualdogbert@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, actually for the error, it was just the session died, restarted it
> and Guac is back. Still looking at the CPU spikes, upgrading didn't change
> much. looking closer at the spikes, they usually take 80%, although that
> would be out of 800%, seeing as I have four cores.with two threads per core.
> So I'm not really sure if there is a CPU issue, or IT just over reacted.

As long as the session is responsive, there is no issue. Instantaneous
CPU usage is a poor indicator of performance for Guacamole, and you
can expect that CPU will spike occasionally when complex changes are
being made to the screen, or even consistently if those changes are
happening continuously. The kernel does a rather good job of balancing
load. Such spikes will only have practical implications if absolutely
all users are constantly experiencing them and at the same time. In
practice, humans are nondeterministic enough in their behavior that
things tend not to intersect that badly unless there are quite a few
users connected.

Better indicators would be:

1) The load average over various intervals
2) A user's subjective experience on a different Guacamole connection
on the same server at the same time

- Mike