guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Mike Jumper <mike.jum...@guac-dev.org>
Subject Re: Guacamole HTTP tunnel not Websockets
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2017 18:16:04 GMT
On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 10:13 AM, Tony Hooker <tony.hooker@dwwtc.com> wrote:

> “Browsers throttle the total number of HTTP connections established via
> JavaScript on a per-domain basis, even across tabs. Once the browser starts
> delaying the creation of outbound connections until existing connections
> close, there will be resource contention between each of the Guacamole
> tabs, and performance will suffer.”
>

> I just tested 4 tabs of SSH in Chrome, Opera, Mozilla, and Edge. Mozilla
> was by far the worst experience with crazy random SSH disconnects, Chrome
> and Opera was a poor experience as well but no disconnects, while Edge was
> experiencing almost no lag at all. We are discussing in the IT office that
> we feel it’s the Java script engine that browsers are designing around.
> Edge’s Java engine seems to be using the most compatible engine for Guac
> performance. Im currently recommending all remote users to switch to Edge
> until further testing or updates are released. I think this is the issue,
> but still doesn’t address the actual log websocket connection issue.

To compare JavaScript performance between browsers, you should really use
one tab only. With multiple tabs, you are not necessarily comparing the
performance of JavaScript, but the different levels of connection
throttling, the prioritization of JavaScript tasks in background tabs, etc.
There are too many variables for that to be a good benchmark.

Edge performance is decent, but if you're seeing it being faster than
Chrome and others, I'm suspicious. With respect to JavaScript, I would
expect Chrome to be much faster.

I would like to add, I’ve been using Guac since 0.9.9 and it wasn’t until I
> updated to 0.9.12 and added SSL, did I start getting reports of these
> issues from remote users.

Not sure why you would only be seeing it now, but the issue with browsers
throttling HTTP connections has definitely existed for quite some time. It
was particularly annoying back in the days when Guacamole opened absolutely
all connections in new tabs and lacked support for websocket (0.9.3 or
older).

Once things moved to a single-tab style with 0.9.4, and websocket support
was stabilized, the throttling encountered by Guacamole was much less
aggressive, but HTTP connection throttling is still an unavoidable problem
for cases where websocket is unavailable.

- Mike