guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Mike Jumper <mike.jum...@guac-dev.org>
Subject Re: Varnish cache
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2017 00:19:20 GMT
You can't cache interactive, dynamic content like a remote desktop session.
The only thing that could be cached with something like Varnish would be
the static JavaScript, images, etc. that make up the client, but in the
grand scheme of things that will have minimal to zero impact on the user
experience within the remote desktop. Once the user has visited Guacamole,
they have the client fully downloaded to browser already.

The caching performed within RDP is bitmap caching. That reduces the amount
of bandwidth consumed by a connection using the same images over and over,
but whether a bitmap should be cached (and the content of that bitmap) is
determined by the RDP server itself.

If you're looking to improve user experience regionally, the best way of
doing so would be to reduce network latency - host multiple Guacamole
servers and such that each user is reasonably guaranteed to have an low
latency connection between themselves and their Guacamole gateway, with the
connection between Guacamole and the remote desktop being over a
predictable, isolated, low latency network.

- Mike