guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Mike Jumper <mike.jum...@guac-dev.org>
Subject Re: guacamole 0.8.3 "invalid login"
Date Sat, 29 Apr 2017 17:36:45 GMT
On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 6:57 AM, dieter-erich <dieter.blaas@meduniwien.ac.at
> wrote:

> Hi,
>    I just subscribed to this forum because I got completely stuck: Having
> installed tomcat8 and guacamole-0.8.3 from the ubunu-16.04 repository
> without major problems on my old 32 bit laptop I have spent hours trying to
> find out why I always get "invalid login" when entering the test
> credentials
> below on the webpage: http://localhost:8080/guacamole.

0.8.3 is quite old at this point - it was released almost 4 years ago.
Though not the source of your issue, if possible, I recommend instead using
the latest release:

http://guacamole.incubator.apache.org/releases/0.9.12-incubating/

There have been quite a few improvements since the days of 0.8.3.

I have:
> 1) defined userid "tomcat" password "tomcat" in
> /etc/tomcat8/tomcat-users.xml:

Why are you defining a user for Tomcat?

----------------------------------
> 2) the same userid and password in /etc/guacamole/user-mapping.xml
>  <!--
>     <authorize username="tomcat" password="tomcat">
>         <protocol>vnc</protocol>
>         <param name="hostname">localhost</param>
>         <param name="port">5901</param>
>         <param name="password">tomcat</param>
>     </authorize>

Your <authorize>...</authorize> section here is commented-out (see the
"<!--" at the beginning). You will need to remove the "<!--" and "-->"
surrounding that section for it to be actually read. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML#Comments

This is likely why you are unable to log in.

> 3) I have started turbovncserver with port 5901

Lacking a VNC server running on the port defined within your Guacamole
connection would prevent the connection itself from being established once
you've logged in, but would not prevent you from logging in in the first
place.

- Mike