guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Mike Jumper <mike.jum...@guac-dev.org>
Subject Re: Error while saving a file from application to Guac virtual drive
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2016 21:14:03 GMT
On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Antony Awaida <antony@apporto.com> wrote:

> Hi again Mike:
>
> What if we create a "staging" download folder and there is a script that
> checks the size the folder every X seconds. Once the size of the folder is
> stable, it moves the file to the actual Guac download folder?

And once that approach fails, will there be a staging folder for the
staging folder? Turtles all the way down? ;)

You can try this, of course, but it is no more guaranteed to work than what
Guacamole is already doing, and it may actually make things worse:

Your proposed heuristic assumes that a file is written continuously until
the application has finished saving the file, but this will not hold in
practice. What if the application writes the file slowly? What about
*extremely* slowly? The heuristic would incorrectly conclude that the file
is safe to download, automatically move the file to the download folder,
and effectively bypass Guacamole's own heuristics, ultimately resulting in
the download of a partial file.

- Mike