guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Mike Jumper <mike.jum...@guac-dev.org>
Subject Re: Ctrl keyboard issue
Date Sun, 20 Nov 2016 00:12:46 GMT
On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 1:04 AM, Tran-Ngoc Minh <tran-ngoc@integration.ch>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have set up a Guacamole 0.99 server on a Ubuntu 16.04 Linux in order to
> access some Windows 7 and Windows 10 VMs with RDP.  We use the Swiss-French
> keyboard layout. Since there is no Swiss-French keyboard definition, the
> keyboard setting in the connection is set to Unicode. Keyboard mapping
> works for letters and numbers.
>
> I have issue with shortcuts keys : when I pressed a combination like
> ctrl-c, the ctrl is sent to the VM, but when the "c" is pressed, the "c"
> key is sent as if the ctrl key was not pressed.
>
> Do I have to build Guacamole with the Swiss-French Layout added?

Yes. And if you can provide such a layout, we would be glad to accept it
upstream as a contribution.

If that isn't reasonable at the moment, the next best option would be to
select a keyboard layout which has as many characters in common with the
Swiss-French layout as possible. As long as the character that the user
typed exists on the selected layout, Guacamole will handle the translation
automatically. In fact, even the English layout would be an improvement
over using Unicode, as at least then Ctrl+C, and other common shortcuts
will work. Unicode would still be used for any characters which are missing.

The important thing when configuring a RDP connection for Guacamole is that
the keyboard layout matches between the connection configuration and the
RDP server. This is because RDP depends on scancodes, which only have
meaning in context of a keyboard layout, while Guacamole uses X11 keysyms,
which are independent of keyboard layout. The server side of Guacamole must
translate between layout-independent keysyms and the layout-dependent
scancodes of the RDP server. If the key which was pressed is not part of
the RDP server's keyboard layout, then Guacamole will fallback to using
Unicode events.

Ctrl, etc. are not working in your case because Unicode events differ from
keyboard events. They cause Windows to type input a character directly,
which works great for typing but will not work for other uses of the
keyboard (such as keyboard shortcuts, or interacting with an application
expecting true key events).

Thanks,

- Mike