guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Mark Goldey <mgol...@goldey.net>
Subject Debian Stretch update "uninstalls" VNC protocol
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2016 01:21:49 GMT
Hi, all.

I have been using Guacamole 0.9.8 for about a year months without any
problem, until I did an apt-get dist-upgrade on my Debian Stretch
machine yesterday.  The upgrade installed Tomcat8 over Tomcat6 and
updated a lot of packages, but didn't touch Guacamole because I'd built
it from source.

Something bad did happen, though . . . .

After putting configuration directives into Tomcat8, I can connect to
the remote machine through my browser, and I get a login screen.  All
normal.  But when I log in to the remote machine via my browser, I get a
message about an internal server error "within the Guacamole server,"
and the connection retries every 15 seconds.

There are no messages in catalina.out other than INFO about Tomcat
starting up (and one INFO complaint about no TLDs in certain JARs).

Syslog tells me:

Nov  6 11:54:29 [xxxx] guacd[16902]: Guacamole proxy daemon (guacd)
version 0.9.8 started
Nov  6 11:54:29 [xxxx] guacd[16904]: Listening on host 127.0.0.1, port 4822
Nov  6 11:55:35 [xxxx] guacd[16913]: Protocol "vnc" selected
Nov  6 11:55:35 [xxxx] guacd[16913]: Support for selected protocol is
not installed

The login attempt is what generates the VNC message.  I built Guacamole
originally with VNC support (and like I said, it's been running fine
until now).  I'm using vnc4server 4.1.1 and xfce4 and both work fine (I
can remote straight into my VNC desktop).   Also,
/etc/guacamole/user-mapping.xml is unchanged and has the necessary
<authorize> block for VNC (again, it's been working fine until today).

Finally, I believe that Tomcat has access to :

root@[xxxx]:/usr/share/tomcat8# ls -la /usr/share/tomcat8/.guacamole
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Nov  6  2015 /usr/share/tomcat8/.guacamole
->/etc/guacamole

root@[xxxx]:/usr/share/tomcat8/.guacamole# ls
guacamole.properties  guacd.sample.conf  logback.xml  user-mapping.xml
user-mapping.xml.save

So, as far as I can see, every file is in the right place, and the
internal config is fine.  Tomcat, VNC and guacd are all running without
complaint.    (Well, vnc4server complains about X11 stuff like it always
does, but it draws a desktop just fine.)

So, what does " Support for selected protocol is not installed" mean in
this context?  Perhaps a library changed name or location?

Thanks for any ideas!

--mhg

P.S.  Upgrade to Guacamole 0.9.9 you say?  Stretch wants to install
.0.8.3.

P.P.S.  Build 0.9.9 from Source?  Unfortunately, the upgrade installed
GCC 6.1.1 and everything in this bug report is true:
https://glyptodon.org/jira/browse/GUAC-1530   I do not know how/whether
to remove the word '-pedantic' from every makefile in /src, but I don't
think that's the path forward.

P.P.P.S. Build 0.9.8 from Source and hope for the best?  Downgrade GCC?
Meh.

Thanks.