guacamole-user mailing list archives

From brian mullan <bmullan.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RDP server on Linux - Which components?
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2016 07:55:17 GMT
Gabor

Since you are using Kubuntu 16.04 take a look at my GitHub:

https://github.com/bmullan/CIAB-Guacamole-Remote-Desktop

If you already have your Kubuntu Desktop Server configured then the only 2
files you need are:

xrdp.deb
x11rdp.deb

And install those.   I built them with the latest xrdp source code & they
include pulseaudio support.

NOTE:  on my Ubuntu 16.04 system xrdp's systemd init didn't work (I had
seen others report it with generic xrdp as well).

So in my scripts I have a command to just delete:

$ sudo rm /lib/systemd/system/xrdp*

-or- you could rename them if you figure out why they don't work right with
systemd

However, by deleting them kubuntu/ubuntu will start xrdp up at Boot using
the traditional upstart instead so they will work right for you.

                                       =   =   =   =   =   =

Now... if you have NOT yet installed your Kubuntu server/host... you could
use all of the scripts/files in that GitHub with just a small edit to one
section of 1 file

Although I use Ubuntu 16.04 the GitHub scripts/files assume that an Ubuntu
"server" (not Desktop)  OS is already installed on a machine, cloud, vm.

*To install everything you only need to execute three (3) of the scripts:*

sudo setup-guacamole.sh
sudo setup-nginx.sh
reboot
sudo setup-ciab.sh

My scripts install Guacamole 0.9.9, Tomcat8, nginx, mysql and xrdp/x11rdp
all pretty much auto-magically for you.

The scripts configure things so you use HTTPS instead of HTTP so the web
portion of the desktop connections is encrypted.

*NOTE:  To use of KDE the only script you would have to change for Kubuntu
& KDE desktop use is the one named* -   *setup-ciab.sh*

In *setup-ciab.sh* scroll down and make the appropriate changes to these
lines to install the KDE Desktop Environment instead of the Ubuntu-Mate
environment I
install and use with Guacamole:

*I use...*

*#========================================================================================*
*# Install UBUNTU-MATE desktop environment as default for Guacamole RDP
User to work with.*
*#========================================================================================*

*add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/xenial-mate -y*

*apt update*

*apt upgrade -y*

*apt install lightdm ubuntu-mate-core ubuntu-mate-desktop ufw
ubuntu-restricted-extras ubuntu-restricted-addons -y*

*echo "Desktop Install Done"*

*#Configure the Xsession file default desktop environment*
*# change ALL future User default xsession to be UBUNTU-MATE*

*update-alternatives --set x-session-manager /usr/bin/mate-session *

Just change that section of "setup-ciab.sh"  to only install lightdm &
kubuntu-desktop (and remove the MATE references) like the following:

*#========================================================================================*
*# Install kubuntu-desktop Desktop Environment as default for Guacamole RDP
User to work with.*
*#========================================================================================*

*apt update*

*apt upgrade -y*

*apt install lightdm kubuntu-desktop ufw ubuntu-restricted-extras
ubuntu-restricted-addons -y*

*echo "Desktop Install Done"*

That should be all that you have to change to use my scripts.

However... if you'd also like to experiment with LXD containers & Guacamole
there are 2 extra scripts in the GitHub that create so you can access
Desktops in them
also from Guacamole.

*The GitHub has a pretty extensive README.PDF* that explains how to
configure everything and what all the scripts do.

I also *made a YouTube video* that shows me using those same scripts to
install everything on an Amazon AWS EC2 Cloud Server.

The link to that video is on the GitHub page as well.

Brian