guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Mike Jumper <mike.jum...@guac-dev.org>
Subject Re: Benchmark guacd performance with RDP
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2016 13:58:44 GMT
On Jul 18, 2016 1:03 AM, "Olivier Berthonneau" <
olivier.berthonneau@nanocloud.com> wrote:

> My guess is I will have to code a bot to connect to multiple sessions at
the same time. As I want the session to produce change on the screen to
generate load I was thinking of opening my session with a full screen video
playing a typical usage of a Windows session.

> Has anyone any thoughts about this before I jump in ?

Hi Olivier,

I would recommend against this approach. Doing this will nullify the remote
desktop features of RDP (like bitmap caching and copying rectangles between
surfaces).

The result may look visually similar, but the information that remote
desktop servers hook into for efficient operation will be gone. The server
will be forced to do nothing but frequent and large brute-force image
comparisons, followed by encoding those large areas. This will be orders of
magnitude more intense than what would happen compared to typical
operations with respect to processing.

If you want the benchmark to be representative, you will need to script the
inputs of the user such that the applications running on the remote desktop
server are actually opened, used in a way typical of a user, etc. I don't
think there are any shortcuts around that which wouldn't also defeat the
benchmark.

Thanks,

- Mike