guacamole-user mailing list archives

From brian mullan <bmullan.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HOW do i create a connection?
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2016 16:39:39 GMT
Babatunde

RDP is normally is used for Microsoft Windows (remote desktop protocol =
RDP)

However, there is software on linux that also lets you do RDP to a linux
box.

If you are trying to connect to an Ubuntu 16.04 system then you will need
to do a couple things:

   1. On the ubuntu 16.04 install xrdp using the Ubuntu software center or
   synaptic or whatever you use.    NOTE:  the xrdp that is in the Ubuntu
   repositories is quite old (v0.6x) versus the newest xrdp (v0.9) but from
   the sounds of your emails it may be beyond your abilities at this time to
   build the latest xrdp from source so just use the older version.
   2. On Ubuntu you will also need to be using a Desktop OTHER than Unity
   or Gnome3.   Neither of those will work with any remote desktop I am aware
   of.   So you will need to install some other Desktop Environment (DE) such
   as ubuntu-mate, xubuntu-desktop or lubuntu-desktop
   3. Once you've got all the above done then you need to make sure both
   your Ubuntu & any routers you use have Port 3389 (RDP's port) open.

Then and only then ... will you be able to try to get your remote desktop
to work.

This all works as I do it myself but I do use the newer xrdp.    If you are
adventurous & have the time you can use Scarygliders.net  great build
script ( http://scarygliders.net/x11rdp-o-matic-information/) and it will
build xrdp and x11rdp from source for you.    Be warned that it can take a
long time depending on the PC you use (cpu, memory disk speed etc) it can
take up to an hour.

When the x11rdp-o-matic.sh script is done it will also have created 2 .DEB
files for you (one for xrdp and one for x11rdp) which you can then copy
anywhere and install using gdebi or dpkg etc in order to have the newer
xrdp.

If you don't want to use RDP ... remember that Guacamole also supports VNC
so you could install a VNC server on your target Ubuntu machine and connect
using VNC... you will still need to use a desktop other than Unity or
Gnome3 though.

Hope that helps

Brian