guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Mike Jumper <mike.jum...@guac-dev.org>
Subject Re: [9.10-Incubating] Screen Recording GUAC286 & GUAC1451 - HowTo...
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2016 23:39:10 GMT
On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 11:25 AM, <seba@econ.uba.ar> wrote:

> Hi, folks!
>
> I've downloaded and successfully compiled guacd using
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-guacamole-server (MASTER BRANCH)...
>
> I'd like to test screen recording features, but I don't know how to work
> them out... (args & parameters to guacd)...

Hi Seba,

There are no extra parameters to be passed to guacd for screen recording.
Since you asked specifically about text-based screen recording for SSH and
telnet (old downstream issue GUAC-1451), I'll cover that specifically here.

Text-based screen recordings of SSH or telnet sessions are saved as
typescripts in the format used by the script[1] and scriptreplay[2]
commands. The way these typescripts are saved is controlled with three
additional connection parameters:

1) "typescript-path"

The directory in which typescript files should be created. If a typescript
needs to be recorded, this parameter is required. Specifying this parameter
enables typescript recording. If this parameter is omitted, no typescript
will be recorded.

2) "typescript-name"

The base filename to use when determining the names for the data and timing
files of the typescript. This parameter is optional. If omitted, the value
"typescript" will be used instead.

Each typescript consists of two files which are created within the
directory specified by "typescript-path": "NAME", which contains the raw
text data, and "NAME.timing", which contains timing information, where NAME
is the value provided for the "typescript-name" parameter.

This parameter only has an effect if typescript recording is enabled. If
the "typescript-path" is not specified, recording of typescripts will be
disabled, and this parameter will be ignored.

3) "create-typescript-path"

If set to "true", the directory specified by the "typescript-path"
parameter will automatically be created if it does not yet exist. Only the
final directory in the path will be created - if other directories earlier
in the path do not exist, automatic creation will fail, and an error will
be logged.

This parameter is optional. By default, the directory specified by the
"typescript-path" parameter will not automatically be created, and attempts
to record typescripts in a non-existent directory will be logged as errors.

This parameter only has an effect if typescript recording is enabled. If
the "typescript-path" is not specified, recording of typescripts will be
disabled, and this parameter will be ignored.

Thanks,

- Mike

[1] http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/script.1.html
[2] http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/scriptreplay.1.html