guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Prashant Govindaraju <pgovindar...@boardvantage.com>
Subject Re: PowerPoint document takes too long for editing
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2016 21:21:24 GMT
Hi Mike,

With Guacamole, after displaying blue screen for 3 to 4 minutes we get the Windows 2008 R2
logoff screen and eventually the Rdp connection is closed.

I use Rdp connection manager and see the active and closed sessions.

 Your understanding is right and I am not able to figure out why such a strange scenario occurs
only with few pptx files.

After going through the code, we were able to figure out that initial program and remote app
use the same logic.

However, flattening the pptx file solved the issue ( save pptx to pdf, recreate pptx from
pdf ).

We tried to run Guac daemon in foreground mode and check when the pptx file handle is closed
and see if there is a delay in Rdp connection termination.

I am attaching the guacd logs for your review.

Thanks,
Prashant.

<mailto:pgovindaraju@boardvantage.com>> wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> I tried to open the PPTX file via RDP client and observed that the performance is pretty
good and fast for file opening and closing.

> But is it actually closing? Or does the client window close, and the client process may
still be connected and running?

> If you are seeing the following behavior with Guacamole
>
> 1) Close PowerPoint
> 2) ... 3 - 4 minutes ...
> 3) Windows logoff screen
> 4) Connection closed
>
> and the following behavior with a native RDP client:
>
> 1) Close PowerPoint
> 2) Windows logoff screen
> 3) Client window closes
>
> then something strange is going on. The key here being the total lack of pause between
closure of the application and the appearance of the Windows logoff screen. BUT, if you are
actually seeing the following behavior with the native client:

> 1) Close PowerPoint
> 2) Client window closes
>
> Note the lack of logoff screen. If this is the case, then the same behavior you see with
Guacamole may actually be happening with the native client as well. It is just not visible,
running in the background.

> But I we connect to the same machine via Guacamole setup, we can open the file normally,
but close of pptx takes 3-4 minutes.

> We don’t use “Remote App” setting with Guac admin page.
>
> I am attaching a screenshot for more information.
> We set Initial program parameter to invoke MSoffice exe for PowerPoint and feed the target
file from a Guac drive that we create.

> Initial program = %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\powerpnt.exe
\\tsclient\G\test_ppt.pptx <>

> While you may not be explicitly using RemoteApp, I believe that "initial program" actually
uses the same backend system as RemoteApp in recent versions of Windows. If you're not seeing
this behavior with the native client (ie: you have confirmed that the native client process
is no longer running immediately upon close - it doesn't just appear to be closed, but the
connection has actually completely shut down), then it does sound like something different
must be happening, though I'm not sure at the moment what that could be.

> After I close the pptx file, I see a blue screen for about 3-4 minutes and then the Windows
logoff screen is shown.

> So, the Rdp session is not closed quickly for selective pptx files.
>

> You only see this behavior for specific PowerPoint files?

This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient and may contain confidential
or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
use, or distribution of the information included in this message and any attachments is prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail and immediately
and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Thank you.