guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Prashant Govindaraju <pgovindar...@boardvantage.com>
Subject Re: PowerPoint document takes too long for editing
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2016 22:22:45 GMT
Hi Mike,

I tried to open the PPTX file via RDP client and observed that the performance is pretty good
and fast for file opening and closing.

But I we connect to the same machine via Guacamole setup, we can open the file normally, but
close of pptx takes 3-4 minutes.

We don’t use “Remote App” setting with Guac admin page.

I am attaching a screenshot for more information.

We set Initial program parameter to invoke MSoffice exe for PowerPoint and feed the target
file from a Guac drive that we create.

Initial program = %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\powerpnt.exe \\tsclient\G\test_ppt.pptx

After I close the pptx file, I see a blue screen for about 3-4 minutes and then the Windows
logoff screen is shown.

So, the Rdp session is not closed quickly for selective pptx files.

We are using Guacamole project to edit MSWord, Excel and PPT files within our browser application
by using a set of Windows 2008 R2 target machines.

Thanks,
Prashant.

<mailto:pgovindaraju@boardvantage.com>> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>

> Hi Prashant,
>
> When starting a new thread, please only email one list. There is no need to duplicate
a thread across multiple lists.

> I am trying to edit a PowerPoint document via RDP protocol by using Guacamole in my project.
>
> Few pptx documents take too long to close and release RDP session.
>

> What do you mean by "taking too long to close and release the RDP session"?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Mike
>

> On Jun 2, 2016, at 12:13 PM, Mike Jumper <mike.jumper@guac-dev.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 12:05 PM, Prashant Govindaraju <pgovindaraju@boardvantage.com
<mailto:pgovindaraju@boardvantage.com>> wrote:
> After I close the pptx file, I see a blue screen for about 3-4 minutes and then the Windows
logoff screen is shown.

> Are you using RemoteApp?
>
> This doesn't sound like something that would be Guacamole-specific, though the behavior
might not be as noticeable when using a native RDP client (as the desktop background is not
normally rendered when using a native client + RemoteApp).

> If the above sounds plausible, you could confirm by retrying with a native RDP client,
closing PowerPoint as normal, and then watching how long it takes the RDP client process to
die.

> If the client process DOES die immediately, then there must be some way to hook into
RemoteApp closure that is not currently being done within Guacamole.

> Thanks,
>
> - Mike

This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient and may contain confidential
or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
use, or distribution of the information included in this message and any attachments is prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail and immediately
and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Thank you.