groovy-users mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: Static imports seem to win over a method in closure's delegate
Date Fri, 12 Apr 2019 18:58:26 GMT
On 10.04.19 16:05, Herrendorf Johannes wrote:
> Hi Groovy users,
>
> I’m currently building a DSL in groovy and found some strange behaviour
> I have no explanation for: If a method pointer with name "myMethod" is
> imported as static import and a closure has a delegate with a method
> "myMethod" and it's delegation strategy is set to "DELEGATION_ONLY", the
> imported method is always called inside the closure - the delegate
> property seems to be ignored.

two things to always remember:
* closure delegation is a runtime mechanism, it has no influence on
static compiled features
* static imports are compiled statically

The later is not because we want this, but because we have to more or
less. And it is painful. I can imagine a system where this is not
required, but that is far from easy or efficient.

[...]
> import static mailinglist.SomeOtherClass.myMethod
[...]
> 	    // dispatched to SomeOtherClass.myMethod; correct
>          myMethod "Hello"
>          closureStuff {
>              // dispatched to SomeOtherClass.myMethod, but I expected that
> 			// it's dispatched to ClosureDelegate.myMethod instead
>              myMethod "Good Morning"
>          }
[...]
> Am I missing something or is this a bug? Thanks for your help in advance!

In short it is a limitation. I am not sure we can really do something
against that.

bye Jochen