groovy-users mailing list archives

From Merlin Beedell <MBeed...@cryoserver.com>
Subject RE: New Groovy Windows installer
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2019 11:46:08 GMT
I was a bit confused, as WIX is a web site design and hosting service: www.wix.com<http://www.wix.com>.
 But now I see your link, and it is WiX Toolset – “The most powerful set of tools available
to create your Windows installation experience.”
That makes more sense.
Though it’s a shame that a multi-platform Java based installer could not be used (if such
a thing exists).

Merlin Beedell
From: Keegan Witt <keeganwitt@gmail.com>
Sent: 11 February 2019 2:24 AM
To: users@groovy.apache.org
Subject: New Groovy Windows installer

I'm working on a new installer<https://github.com/keeganwitt/groovy-wix> for Windows
using WIX<http://wixtoolset.org/> to create an MSI installer, which should be more robust
for things like altering environment variables and make it easier to do corporate installations.

I'm a total noob when it comes to Windows Installer and WIX, so I'm sure I've done some dumb
things, but I hacked together a basic working installer this weekend.  I've put the initial
version of the installer here<https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w2giakqb2jcc82e/AAB_gqvCvzOU1t-2dRlV4yBoa?dl=0>.
 Your feedback is appreciated.

Some things I'm still thinking about or working on:

  *   The start menu shortcuts for documentation don't go into a subfolder, I'm not sure why.
  *   Heat will generate new GUIDs for the binaries and docs folders every time the project
is built -- I'm not sure if that's the correct thing to do.
  *   Would you ever want to set GROOVY_HOME without adding to PATH?  Or add to PATH without
setting GROOVY_HOME?  Currently the installer groups these together in a single feature.
  *   We should use registry entries to remember which features the user selected to install,
so those are automatically selected during upgrades.
  *   Desktop shortcuts.
  *   Quick launch shortcuts.  I don't think people use these much anymore, but I can throw
them in -- maybe disabled by default?
  *   Should I create an exe version of the installer as well as the msi?
-Keegan