groovy-users mailing list archives

From Keegan Witt <keeganw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New Groovy Windows installer
Date Sun, 17 Feb 2019 23:56:17 GMT
Update: The documentation directory on the start menu actually does
get created -- Windows 10 just doesn't show subdirectories on start
menu folders like previous versions of Windows did.

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 11:07 PM Keegan Witt <keeganwitt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, and one important note for those playing with the new installer:
> uninstall the NSIS based Groovy first and make sure GROOVY_HOME,
> %PROGRAM_FILES%\Groovy, and PATH are free from references to the old
> installation before proceeding.
>
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 9:26 PM Keegan Witt <keeganwitt@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Oh, one more item
> >
> > Is 200 the installer version I should use?
> >

> > On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 9:24 PM Keegan Witt <keeganwitt@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm working on a new installer for Windows using WIX to create an MSI installer,
which should be more robust for things like altering environment variables and make it easier
to do corporate installations.

> >> I'm a total noob when it comes to Windows Installer and WIX, so I'm sure I've
done some dumb things, but I hacked together a basic working installer this weekend.  I've
put the initial version of the installer here.  Your feedback is appreciated.

> >> Some things I'm still thinking about or working on:
> >>
> >> The start menu shortcuts for documentation don't go into a subfolder, I'm not
sure why.
> >> Heat will generate new GUIDs for the binaries and docs folders every time the
project is built -- I'm not sure if that's the correct thing to do.
> >> Would you ever want to set GROOVY_HOME without adding to PATH?  Or add to PATH
without setting GROOVY_HOME?  Currently the installer groups these together in a single feature.
> >> We should use registry entries to remember which features the user selected
to install, so those are automatically selected during upgrades.
> >> Desktop shortcuts.
> >> Quick launch shortcuts.  I don't think people use these much anymore, but I
can throw them in -- maybe disabled by default?