groovy-users mailing list archives

From Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL]About creating open collective for Groovy programming language in the name of Groovy Community
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2019 03:50:55 GMT
Some points:

(1) Since we don't use the "groovy/groovy-core" repo any longer, I don't
think that is the correct one to use but rather "apache/groovy". Also,
while the Android Groovy Gradle plugin is no doubt a worthy recipient of
additional funds, I would be inclined to keep it simple and focus on core
Groovy for now. We can create additional collectives for other Gradle/IDE
plugins if this one proves successful.
(2) According to official Apache policy, the ASF doesn't accept "cash for
code", so this would need to be a community-driven effort rather than an
official Apache organised activity. The wording could say "Friends of
Groovy", or "All Things Groovy" (to mimic the facebook group) or "Gr8
Technologies" rather than "Apache Groovy project" or similar. We can ask
for clarification from Apache marketing/legal but probably easiest if we
have something to show them and ask what might need to be changed.
(3) Having stated (2), it is still the project's responsibility to protect
the Groovy trademark and Apache/Groovy "brands". I suspect, we (as the
Apache project) would need to maintain oversight of the collective to make
sure of this. As far as I know this is slightly uncharted territory. I
would propose to include some proposal in the collective wording along the
lines of "there will always be someone from the Apache Groovy Project
actively involved in the collective". We can run this by the Apache board
and adapt if needed.
(4) While sponsorship is below what we'd like and below what it has been at
some previous points in Groovy life, it isn't 0. We have several existing
sponsors, e.g. OCI. The wording about the collective should take that into
consideration. Perhaps some wording along the lines of "this is to augment
any direct sponsorships from individual companies".

Cheers, Paul.