groovy-users mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk>
Subject Re: Alternative JVM with Groovy (Azul,...) ?
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2018 14:45:07 GMT
On Thu, 2018-03-08 at 13:09 +0100, mg wrote:
> Hi,
> I would be interested to hear if anyone has experience with using
> alternative JVMs with Groovy, especially Azul (https://www.azul.com/)
> ?
> Licensing costs for long term OpenJDK support seem to be much lower,
> and the JVM has additional benefits such as an elastic memory model
> (JVM memory is dynamically allocated/deallocated from the os),
> continuous concurrent garbage collection without freeze-the-world
> fallback, and application startup (warmup) time improvements.But I am
> worried about Groovy compatibility (they only mention Scala
> explicitly on the web page)...
> Cheers,mg

On Debian Sid I use Azul JDKs (Zulu 8 and Zulu 9) because they provide
a deb repository and it is easy. On Fedora Rawhide I use the Fedora
provided OpenJDK, Azul do not provide a Fedora rawhide rpm repository,
but they do provide a RHEL/CentOS one. Why not the Debian provided
OpenJDK and ignore Azul? It comes down to being told Debian Sid OpenJDK
was unreliable and that I should trust Azul.

I have discovered some incompatibilities of Groovy 2.4.14 running on
Zulu 8 compared to Zulu 9. I have yet to try on Fedora OpenJDK to see
if it is an Azul problem or a Groovy problem.

I am not about to use OracleJDK ever again.

Obviously though I am always using the free versions, I do not pay a
licence fee.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200