groovy-users mailing list archives

From Korbee Reinout <Reinout.Kor...@snb.ch>
Subject RE: Executing Groovy DSL scripts concurrently
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2018 08:10:16 GMT
Hi,

According to: http://docs.groovy-lang.org/latest/html/documentation/guide-integrating.html

“You must be very careful when using shared data in a multithreaded environment. The Binding
instance that you pass to GroovyShell is not thread safe, and shared by all scripts.”

There are some guidelines regarding multi-threading and thread-safety. Before attempting something
like this, ask yourself the question, “can I guarantee that my code is thread safe?”,
which is very different from running a successful test without concurrency issues.

You could use the GroovyClassLoader directly and keep the compiled scripts in a cache, see
the mentioned docs on how to obtain thread-safety with the Binding object.

From: K Adithyan (tech) [mailto:adi.k.dev@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 4:15 PM
To: users@groovy.apache.org
Subject: Executing Groovy DSL scripts concurrently

Team,

Our application is a Root Cause Analysis Computation Engine for Telecom networks. We have
been implementing the logics in java only so far.

We are now planning to write DSLs for each feature and write the logics using the DSL. We
have implemented a framework for plugging in any number of DSLs and integrated that DSL Framework
with our application.

Each of the logics written over the DSL are executed concurrently using 40 or 50 or 60 threads
based on the rate of the incoming events. Due to the concurrency, we are now creating `GroovyShell`
object for every execution and calling `shell.evaluate(ourScriptFile)` to run the DSL scripts
with our own Binding object and delegates.

This prevents the system to run the logic at its own speed. Everytime parsing and running
takes significant time which reduces the event handling capacity of the application.

I have attempted with `GroovyShell` and `GroovyScriptEngine`. But both are offering same performance
levels. GroovyShell is slightly better than GroovyScriptEngine.

Under these circumstances, what is the best way to wrap our script logic, that is based on
our own DSLs, and run it concurrently without any overhead for parsing, compilation, etc?????????

Pls advice

Reg,
Adithyan K

This e-mail message contains confidential information and is intended only for the named recipient(s).
If you are not an intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or distribution is prohibited.
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this message in error
and delete this message from your system. As internet communications are not secure, the Swiss
National Bank accepts no liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender
specifically states them to be the views of the Swiss National Bank.