groovy-users mailing list archives

From MG <mg...@arscreat.com>
Subject Re: Groovy Champions proposal feedback
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2018 03:04:13 GMT
-1 on "Groovy Stars" / +1 on the overall concept.

Stars makes me think of (Super) Mario, and apart from that it is sounds
so over the top. I don't think many people outside of the Groovy
community know the logo so well, that they realize it has an (irregular)
star in the background (I myself always perceived the "star" more like a
triangle approximation of a human figure).

I would prefer a more serious name (to avoid the toy/script language
association), and for a language that is so close to Java, either the
initally suggested "Groovy Champion" seems a good choice, or maybe
something even more low key, like "Groovy Major Contributor 2018"...

Or for something with a bit more pep "Groovy Vanguard Developer /
Contributor 2018" or "Groovy Crack 2018".

Contrary to Java Champions, I would suggest tying it to a specific year:
That way people who no longer are Groovy contributors do not carry the
title forever (the Russian guy who is now working on Kotlin comes to
mind), and on the other hand some people could get the title several
years in a row, as a sign of continued gratitude.

Cheers,
mg