groovy-users mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: @Groovy Champions: Groovy Development Funding ?
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2018 00:16:30 GMT
On 14.02.2018 22:58, MG wrote:
> I have asked this before but have not received any reply, so with
> regards to Groovy Champions: What are thoughts on crowd funding (at
> least) some part of Groovy development ?
>
> Giving someone honors is good, but giving someone money is also nice. It
> would not necessarily mean that it is actual payment as such, but could
> also be a thank you that would e.g. allow a major contributor to take
> his significant other out for a nice dinner.
>
> Is this frowned upon (or even forbidden) by the Apache foundation ? Does
> someone of the main devs not like the idea ?

It is not frowned upon or forbidden by Apache, as long as it does not
involve Apache directly. For example you won't be able to give money to
Apache and Apache gives the money to the guys to be paid. We can set
something like this up through other means. The problem is the
modalities. Who gets how much? In the past we did get some small money
here and there for different things, which usually have been used to
finance developer meetings and such. Maybe a "prize money" for a
specific issue would be an option.

bye Jochen