groovy-users mailing list archives

From MG <mg...@arscreat.com>
Subject Re: Groovy Champions proposal feedback
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2018 19:23:32 GMT
Hi Søren,

I agree that they are all stars. One can have all stars without having
"Groovy Stars" however ;-)

Regarding your arguments, I in turn disagree :-)

 1. I think that the image of star as a celestial body is not the
    typical association with the word in this context, especially if
    used in plural (i.e. Groovy Stars).
 2. As I have said before, the star in the Groovy logo can imho easily
    be missed (on the Apache Groovy start page it is even partially cut
    off), so the link here to me is weak.
 3. Since many people in this industry have most probably played
    Nintendo games (at least) when they were younger, I uphold the
    validity of my argument regarding this association.
 4. "Rock Stars" in the Java world are "Rock Star speakers at Java One",
    i.e. people who give presentations that, are supposed to "rock". The
    term "rock star" associates with a certain amount or coolness and
    rebellion - things that are typically absent from Java conferences,
    so it is clear why they would like to inject that by choosing the
    term ;-)
 5. "Star players" in e.g. sports are exactly that: People who make a
    lot of money and are known and are revered by millions of people.
    Calling yourself a "star" if you are not even close to that level
    feels tacky to me.

Cheers,
mg