groovy-users mailing list archives

From MG <mg...@arscreat.com>
Subject Re: Groovy Champions proposal feedback
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2018 22:36:01 GMT
The examples I gave were purely to illustrate how annoying/harmful bad
signals can be, as to explain better why I think /new /bad signals
should be avoided if possible.
Same as I have evaluated Groovy a few years back, others are evaluating
it right now. And most of them will not be at conferences listening to
presentations, but instead using Google, forums and stackeroverflow etc.

Do we know that Groovy is a swell language ? Yes, of course.
But that' beside the point, because don't we want to do our best to
convince people who might be sceptical or on the fence, without giving
people like the "Scala fanboys" you mention (I did meet those in the net
a few years back, quite fanboish/fanatical indeed - one thing that I
found immediately refreshing me about Groovy and it's community was,
that it seemed far lesss fanatical, and far more practical than
proponents of other alternative JVM languages) any new ammunition ?

Btw, I don't know if you have noticed this, but there is of course also
a battle for programmers' hearts going on in Wikipedia. Groovy is
grossly underrepresented here, when e.g. examples in different languages
for a general IT topic are given. I have added some Groovy related info
to WIkipedia on multiple occasions, seeing that Scala, and later a
surprising amount of Kotlin (for such a young language) were already
there...

Cheers,
mg