groovy-users mailing list archives

From "Winnebeck, Jason" <Jason.Winneb...@windstream.com>
Subject RE: @CompileStatic null iteration
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2017 13:35:36 GMT
It’s been like this for as long as I’ve been using compile static in Groovy. I assumed
that was expected behavior and I make sure to point it out to all new developers in our project
as one of the Groovy gotchas. Is it not supposed to be that way?

Jason

From: Paolo Di Tommaso [mailto:paolo.ditommaso@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2017 2:29 AM
To: users@groovy.apache.org
Subject: Re: @CompileStatic null iteration

Just found the same problem. This difference can introduce subtle bugs when refactoring groovy
code to CompileStatic.

I suggest to report a bug for that.

Cheers, Paolo

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 12:45 AM, MG <mgbiz@arscreat.com<mailto:mgbiz@arscreat.com>>
wrote:
Hi guys,

just a quick question since we came across it today when testing code that had been converted
from dynamic to static Groovy: Is the behavior that statically compiled Groovy throws a NPE
when the iterable to be iterated over is null (same as Java), while dynamically compiled Groovy
uses the NullObject.iterator(), i.e. does not throw but instead iterates over an empty collection
by design ?

Cheers,
mg

original message and any attachments.