Summarizing the numbers I got with BigQuery queries for Maven vs Gradle, and Gradle in Kotlin vs Groovy here:
http://glaforge.appspot.com/article/gradle-vs-maven-and-gradle-in-kotlin-or-groovy

Guillaume

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 9:31 AM, Guillaume Laforge <glaforge@gmail.com> wrote:
Our of curiosity, I did a quick run through the Github dataset that is available through Google's BigQuery analytics tool.

There are certainly different ways to count gradle builds, as not all are necessarily named build.gradle, etc, but it should give a good enough estimate of proportions.
Perhaps there are better queries for double checking this. Perhaps developers also use a different file name than gradle.kts?
Anyway, I ran this query to know how many build.gradle and build.gradle.kts build files there are on open source github repositories.
Here's what I got.

There are 414,329 build.gradle files (in Groovy).

There are 207 build.gradle.kts files (in Kotlin).

So that's basically one Kotlin build for 2000 Groovy builds.

Guillaume