groovy-users mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk>
Subject Re: What's the status of the Gpars library ?
Date Sat, 14 Oct 2017 07:54:05 GMT
On Fri, 2017-10-13 at 21:07 +0200, Christian Sperandio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to learn more about concurrency programming in Groovy and I’ve found
> the Gpars library.
> But in the maven repository, the last version dates on 2014.
> Is this project live anymore ? Or this library is so stable and it doesn’t
> need more changes.

GPars project is far from dead. However it is suffering from a lack of
programmers and documentors actively working on it.

The GPars 1.X series is basically done and in "not really being maintained"
mode, though a last release is required. This version of GPars pre-dates JDK8,
uses tools and techniques of implementation that are now out of date, and so
has no future as an implementation of concurrency.

The GPars 2.X series will rely on JDK8 or later. However, I have not been able
to get it ready for release (long, probably boring, story) and no-one else
seems interested enough in GPars getting a new release to join in and help. I
am hoping to be able to get back to this is 2018, making a JDK8 and JDK9
compatible version, i.e. plan on GPars being a module.

A core question is how to get a release onto Maven Central, possibly via
Bintray. The observant will notice there hasn't been a GPars release since the
demise of Cohehaus – the single biggest reason being no-one associated with
GPars has had the time/inclination to find out how to get it done.

Schalk Cronjé and myself have had a couple of goes at this, but run out of
time, and Bintray has moved on since then. So if someone can step up to help
with the release process, a final 1.X release can be made and the first 2.0
one as well.

Help with the documentation as well as the implementation and release would
also be welcome, the 1.X → 2.X change will need quite a lot of work to get the
documentation up to scratch. There is nothing worse than a great library with
crap documentation.

In the end GPars is a volunteer project with no paid support, the people who
like and/or use it are most welcome to give back by helping out.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200