groovy-users mailing list archives

From John Wagenleitner <john.wagenleit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: foo() || return false ?
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2017 01:21:23 GMT
Since the `||` operator expects an expression a return statement is not
valid there.  If the goal is to call the method `doSomething()` and then
return false, then both can be put on separate lines or a semicolon can be
used to separate the statements to keep it a one-liner, e.g.,
`doSomething(); return false`.

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 5:24 PM, Guy Matz <guymatz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks so much for the reply!  I'm not trying to do this, though: || false
>
> I'm trying to do this: || return false
>
> Is there a more groovy way?
>
> Thanks!!
>

> On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 5:06 PM, John Wagenleitner <
> john.wagenleitner@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That is not a valid start of an expression which is expected for the
>> binary expression (expr || expr) so that's why it wont compile. I am not
>> familiar with Scriptler and it is hard to tell without some more context,
>> but how about just:
>>
>> doSomething()
>>
>> You can simplify by dropping the `|| false`.  If that's the last line in
>> a boolean returning method/context it will return true if doSomething()
>> returns a non-null/non-zero/non-false value, else false.  Otherwise you
>> could coerce the value to a boolean with:
>>
>> doSomething() as boolean
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Guy Matz <guymatz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello!
>>> I'm trying to do the following in scriptler (Jenkins), but I can't get
>>> this to work:
>>> doSomething() || return false
>>>
>>> This fails in scripler with:
>>>
>>> Execution of script [promoteBuild.groovy] failed - org.codehaus.groovy.control.MultipleCompilationErrorsException:
startup failed: