groovy-users mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk>
Subject Re: Java 8 Date/Time API Extension Methods
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2017 11:34:11 GMT
On Thu, 2017-06-08 at 13:18 +0200, Dinko Srkoč wrote:
> On 8 June 2017 at 13:09, Russel Winder <russel@winder.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2017-06-07 at 14:38 +0000, Søren Berg Glasius wrote:
> > > I think it makes perfect sense that you can do the same
> > > calculations
> > > with
> > > java.time.* as you can with java.util.Date
> > >

> > Shouldn't it be fair to assume that all new code eschews
> > java.util.Date
> > and all the Calendar stuff, and uses java.time for everything time
> > and
> > date related?
>
> I think this falls into a category of "hope" or "wish", rather than
> "assumption" :-)

True, but I was hoping that unlike a large percentage of Java
developers who are hugely reluctant to learn anything new they do not
already know (*), Groovy developers were very much into using the best
new idiomatic ways of doing things (well except for stuff that is just
fashionably trendy for a few days) and keeping their codebases up to
date with up-to-date Groovy.

Please do not shatter my illusions.

(*) And are thus part of the legacy problem.

--
Russel.