OK, in my mind that is perfectly fine. In this case the change of package name and Maven coordinates is required, but in this case it is a good thing. It’s a good thing because you are saying explicitly that both Groovy versions can co-exist, which is what separate packages and separate Maven coordinates allow you to do. As an example of how this was done very well I think of Jackson 1.x to 2.x where they can co-exist and use different packages/Maven coordinates. And also in my mind, it’s acceptable as an upgrade scenario because I can use legacy libraries not upgraded to Groovy 3 by treating them as I would any other JVM class, with just the decision of having extra overhead by having both Groovy 2 and Groovy 3 in my classpath.

I suppose there would need to be some compatibility layer though because of things like Closure being an abstract class, presumably Groovy 3 would have its own Closure type so there would need to be a converter/wrapper to pass a G3 closure into a G2 class taking groovy.lang.Closure, unless groovy.lang.Closure is not going to change for G3. It sounds like worst-case these problems are solvable via a special Groovy 2-compat library that maybe excludes groovy.lang.Closure so that it defers to the G3 implementation.

Jason

From: Cédric Champeau [mailto:cedric.champeau@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:18 AM
To: users@groovy.apache.org
Subject: Re: Maven coordinates going forward

And again, _we have no choice_. If we want Groovy to run as a module, we HAVE to break binary compatibility. There's absolutely no other way around. It's a thing. If we don't want to break it, Groovy will never run as a module. And if JDK 9 modules become legion, then Groovy would die.

To me the idea would be to be able to run Groovy 2 and Groovy NG concurrently.

Can you explain the story around a library like org.codehaus.groovy.modules.http-builder:http-builder, which is no longer really maintained? What happens to such a library when Groovy 3 comes out and we are using that library? Let's say there is no maintainer to update the sources to Groovy 3 and re-release.

Jason