groovy-users mailing list archives

From Jeff <predato...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven coordinates going forward
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2017 15:24:03 GMT

> Is this not the whole point of releasing versioned binaries?  It just
>> means a couple of extra steps when I upgrade.  First, change the
>> coordinates (group + version instead of just the version) and a quick
>> refactor of my imports.  Every modern IDE makes this easy.
>>

>> This is not much about direct dependencies, but about transitive
> dependencies. Exclusions in Maven are horrible. You never want to exclude a
> dependency. What you really want is to substitute it, so that it can belong
> to the dependency resolution process.

I believe it is about transitive dependencies.  By changing both the
coordinates *and package names* accordingly, you now can have packages from
older codehaus dependencies (both transitive or direct) that will not clash
with packages from the newly named apache (direct or transitive)
dependencies.

I may be missing something but I believe it eliminates the specific
transitive inclusion issue since old and new can coexist.