groovy-users mailing list archives

From John Wagenleitner <john.wagenleit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Testing the Java 8 / Parrot parser online!
Date Sat, 25 Mar 2017 21:23:59 GMT
On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 1:26 AM, Jochen Theodorou <blackdrag@gmx.org> wrote:

> On 25.03.2017 07:52, Russel Winder wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2017-03-24 at 21:36 +0100, Guillaume Laforge wrote:
>>
>>> […]
>>>
>>> It's built with Java 8, and runs on the upcoming version of Google
>>> App
>>> Engine's Java runtime running on an OpenJDK 8. It's using the "indy"
>>> jar,
>>> thus with the invoke dynamic support automatically.
>>> […]
>>>

>> What is the exact difference between the indy artefacts and the non-
>> indy artefacts?

My understanding is that the only difference between the "-indy" and
non-indy jars pertains to class files generated from .groovy source files
within the Groovy project itself.  Using the indy jars does affect scripts
compiled or run against those jars, the default is still the legacy
callsite code.  In order compile with indy you'd still have to set the indy
setting in the compiler config or pass -indy to groovyc.  Since core
contains very few groovy source files (I think maybe just one), using the
-indy jars would mainly affect those using subprojects such as
groovy-console, groovy-docgenerator, etc. that are mostly written using
Groovy.

> Why are we still making two complete sets of artefacts int eh Groovy
>> build, surely now we should have just one.
>>

> I cannot suggest to users to use indy with a normal JDK7, so the minimum
> requirement for it is JDK8. And we are not there yet.
>
> bye Jochen

Based on what I've seen I agree, at least for making indy the default mode
for compilation would be best to wait until jdk8 is the min version.