groovy-users mailing list archives

From "Winnebeck, Jason" <Jason.Winneb...@windstream.com>
Subject RE: Testing the Java 8 / Parrot parser online!
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2017 21:06:14 GMT
That is awesome. If the Java 8 syntax is supported, does that mean Groovy will support lambdas?
One thing that saddened me about using Java 8 from Groovy is that you have the overhead of
closure classes/meta class and the “dynamic” conversion/proxy into the Java functional
interfaces, while the same code written in Java uses the lambda functionality which appears
to return a singleton instance of a VM-generated class with presumably much less overhead.

Jason

From: Guillaume Laforge [mailto:glaforge@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2017 4:37 PM
To: users@groovy.apache.org
Subject: Testing the Java 8 / Parrot parser online!

Hi all,

I've deployed a version of the venerable Groovy Web Console that uses the Parrot parser!
And we'd love if you could try it out  and report your findings.
You don't have to install anything, just go online, and run some scripts or classes, using
Java 8 syntax constructs and APIs, and see how well it works.

I've blogged about it here:
http://glaforge.appspot.com/article/testing-java-8-snippets-on-the-new-app-engine-java-8-runtime

And you can try it here online directly, without installing anything:
https://cafe-huitre.appspot.com/

It's built with Java 8, and runs on the upcoming version of Google App Engine's Java runtime
running on an OpenJDK 8. It's using the "indy" jar, thus with the invoke dynamic support automatically.

I'll deploy that version at some point to the usual web console URL, once we have an official
release of the Parrot parser.

What we'd like is you to go and try it out :-)
Please spend a moment to try different things, and if you find any problem, please report
them back here.

Thanks for your help!

Guillaume

--