groovy-users mailing list archives

From Keegan Witt <keeganw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Groovy Docker images
Date Sun, 11 Dec 2016 06:24:53 GMT
Sorry for the long turnaround on this.  I've got some basic Dockerfiles put
together: https://github.com/keeganwitt/groovy-docker.  Please let me know
what I can improve.  One thing I might do is template out the Dockerfiles
similar to what Ruby did <https://github.com/docker-library/ruby> to make
it easier to publish images when there's a new Groovy version.

I planned on creating both Alpine and non-Alpine images since that seems to
be the current practice.  But we need to get GROOVY-7906
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GROOVY-7906> resolved for the Alpine
images to work.

I'm concerned about whether it'd be legal for us to distribute the Oracle
JDK with Groovy.  I saw this article on the topic: http://blog.takipi.com/
running-java-on-docker-youre-breaking-the-law/.  I don't speak legalize
though.  I haven't seen anyone else (Jruby, etc) publishing Oracle JDK, and
Oracle has never published Docker images that were not OpenJDK.  The only
images floating out there have been community-created.  So for the time
being, I don't plan to publish Oracle based images.

Once we think these look good, I'll move the repo over to groovy org in
Github and we'll get them published to Docker Hub.  Maybe we could also ask
Apache Infra to get them added to https://hub.docker.com/u/apache/, I
haven't decided.  What do you think?