groovy-users mailing list archives

From Keegan Witt <keeganw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Groovy Docker images
Date Sun, 11 Dec 2016 10:12:12 GMT
Thanks for the feedback, Thibault.  I've responded in-line.

   - Might be better not to start groovysh, might be mentioned in
   Dockerfile comments instead
   - It's just a default to be run when the user does "docker run", they
      can specify an alternative command to run if they choose (see my grape
      example further down).  Ruby, JRuby, and Python all do this, and it's
      mentioned in Docker's best practices
      <https://docs.docker.com/engine/userguide/eng-image/dockerfile_best-practices/#cmd>
      .
   - Add Dockerfile comments, at least a link to the repo containing the
   dockerfiles
      - Did you mean a link to the Docker Hub page?  If not, what comments
      do you think would be helpful in the Dockerfiles?
   - Add a LICENSE file to the github repo
      - Good catch.  Done.
   - Add a travis job to the github repo that verifies the Dockerfiles
      - Yea, I intend to change the readme to link to the Docker Hub page
      (once published) and a Travis job, as you've suggested.  Build automation
      is something I have to work out yet, goes with the templating work I
      mentioned.
      - Provide one sample image on top of those images with some hello
   world application
   - Usage is pretty straightforward, but I could do that.  It probably
      should be in a separate repo though, don't you think?  Also any
suggestions
      on a good sample?  I was thinking something not compiled Groovy, because
      for that you'd just run with Java Docker image, no need for Groovy on
      path.  Maybe a script of some kind.
   - Check if grapes can be run from containers
      - Grape seemed to work, was there a particular problem you were
      concerned about?

$ docker run -it --rm --name groovy groovy:jre8-latest

Dec 11, 2016 9:37:40 AM java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences$1 run

INFO: Created user preferences directory.

Groovy Shell (2.4.7, JVM: 1.8.0_111)

Type ':help' or ':h' for help.

--------------------------

groovy:000> groovy.grape.Grape.grab(group:'org.springframework',
module:'spring', version:'2.5.6')

===> null

$ docker run -it --rm --name groovy groovy:jre8-latest grape install
'org.springframework' 'spring' '2.5.6'

2.4.0.jar!/org/apache/ivy/core/settings/ivysettings.xml

:: resolving dependencies :: caller#all-caller;working72

        confs: [default]

        found org.springframework#spring;2.5.6 in jcenter

        found commons-logging#commons-logging;1.1.1 in jcenter

downloading https://jcenter.bintray.com/org/springframework/spring/2.
5.6/spring-2.5.6.jar ...

        [SUCCESSFUL ] org.springframework#spring;2.5.6!spring.jar (2741ms)

downloading https://jcenter.bintray.com/commons-logging/commons-
logging/1.1.1/commons-logging-1.1.1.jar ...

        [SUCCESSFUL ] commons-logging#commons-logging;1.1.1!commons-logging.jar
(719ms)