From: OC <ocs@ocs.cz>
Reply: users@groovy.apache.org <users@groovy.apache.org>
Date: 9. november 2016 at 20.33.17
To: users@groovy.apache.org <users@groovy.apache.org>, Jochen Theodorou <blackdrag@gmx.org>
Subject:  Re: .with() variant that returns the original object

Jochen,

On 9. 11. 2016, at 19:44, Jochen Theodorou <blackdrag@gmx.org> wrote:
> Also it should be noted that we already have an alias for "with", which is "identity". I would not want to have yet another one.
> Frankly... I think we should change what it returns.

whilst I agree too many aliases is a bad thing, in my personal opinion, breaking backward compatibility is worse.

> It is unlikely somebody did depend on with returning null.

I might be wrong as so often, but I can well imagine somebody depends on the current behaviour, which, far as I understand, is not returning null, but returning the result of the last expression in the closure -- precisely what I would myself like to be available in future as "resultWith".

All the best,
OC